Note: This feature is currently only available on accounts that have relevant Solutions packages enabled.
Uploading a list of contacts to your ThoughtExchange customer account allows you to easily send invitations and reminders to participants for any Exchanges you create in that room without ever leaving the app.
To upload contacts to ThoughtExchange:
- Click the avatar icon in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Go to Admin Settings
- Click on the “Contacts” tab
- Click on the “CSV Import” button to access the import contacts page.
Note: you can download a sample template to get a better understanding of the file formatting requirements.
Import contact page
- File upload: upload a CSV file of your contacts. You can click on “Choose file” or drag your file to the file upload area.
Once you’ve successfully uploaded the file a ‘success’ message will appear, click on “Data mapping” to move on to the next step.
- Data mapping: the data mapping step will allow you to select your CSV column data and map it to required and custom ThoughtExchange fields.
First name, Last name, and Email are required. Additionally, one custom field must be added to allow for filtering capabilities within ThoughtExchange. Map the ‘source’ columns (most left) to the ThoughtExchange fields (middle); note: you have the option to customize the labels to your liking in ThoughtExchange.
If the first row of your CSV file doesn’t contain headers (e.g. Department) you can disable the ‘First row contains labels’ option.
Date type: we will make our best assumptions to map the correct ‘Data type’ (furthest right) to the source data (e.g. Date = Date). Please ensure that the correct data type matches your source data.
- Import: once you’re happy with the mapping you’ve set up, click “Import” which will bring you to the final step to complete the import process.
Data types and .csv file format
Each contact needs to be on its own row in the spreadsheet. If you don’t have data for a particular contact, leave the cell blank.
Note: ‘Date’ and ‘Number’ type fields cannot be blank.
Accepted data types:
- Date: YYYY-MM-DD format (ISO 8601 syntax)
- E.g. 2021-09-08
- Number: ‘integer’ and ‘float’
- E.g. -707, 0, 707 & 707.07, 0.7, 707.00
- String: text values
- E.g. Marketing, Product, Research & Development, Sales
If you're using a Mac, try saving your file as MS-DOS Comma Separated (.csv). Go to File > Save As > Format.
Viewing your contacts
You can view a simple list of your contacts by going to Room Settings > Integrations > Contacts. If there are contacts imported there will be a “View list” button to access the contact list.
If you need to make adjustments to the contacts you have imported, upload a new CSV file (click on Reupload CSV) with your desired adjustments.
Reuploading contacts and updates
If you’re wanting to make updates to the contacts in ThoughtExchange, export a new CSV file with ALL your updated contacts and re-upload using the same process as above. When you navigate back to the “Integrations > Contacts upload” card you’ll notice a “Reupload” contacts button.
Important: when you reupload a new list, if there are contacts in the new list that no longer exist from your previous upload, we will remove them from ThoughtExchange. This is why it’s important that you upload ALL your contacts again, not just the new rows.
Automatic Contact Syncing
ThoughtExchange now supports automatic contact syncing!
All you have to do is flip the switch to ON and link your HR system to the ThoughtExchange S3 folder using the information provided. Once you've set up the connection, click "Sync CSV" and map the data as normal. The list will sync daily at 9AM UTC.