As school districts around the world prepare for an unprecedented return to the classroom it is more important than ever to keep channels of dialogue open to identify areas that are working well, and where there are opportunities for growth. In partnering with districts across North America, we are seeing now, more than ever, the best way to create and foster school community engagement is to encourage staff, parents, students and community members to provide input on the processes and decisions that impact them.
Here are some sample questions for you to use to support professional development, back to school check-ins, town halls, and COVID case management over the next couple of months:
These questions can be used to further develop and build on staff successes by identifying opportunities and closing learning gaps.
- What are the most important professional development/collaborative needs to consider throughout the 2020-21 school year?
- What resources and support do you need to help prepare you for a successful return to instruction?
- What best practices can we share to support our new approach to instruction and learning?
Back to Classroom Check-In
These questions can help you understand how your school community is coping and provide insights as to how/where you may need to pivot/adjust.
- What’s working well and what is hard about the new rules this year? (students)
- Now that we've started our new school year, what is working, and in what areas do you need more support? (parents/staff)
Remote/Distance Learning Check-In
These questions can be used to get a sense for the challenges faced by staff, students and parents as instruction continues remotely.
- What are the biggest challenges you are seeing or experiencing with remote learning and what is working well? (parents/students)
- What are the most important challenges you are seeing or experiencing with remote teaching and learning, and what is working well? (staff)
- What are some particularly interesting remote teaching best practices, insights and innovations? (staff)
COVID Case Management
Feedback from your stakeholders can help you know what has worked well in your information chain, and modify/manage your communication in the event of a positive case.
- Please share your thoughts and feedback related to the COVID exposure at our school.
- What are your thoughts, questions, and concerns about our COVID-19 response management and communications?
Regular Team Check-Ins
These questions can be used during weekly or monthly team meetings, as well as district-wide staff events.
- What are your thoughts and questions about how we can best support each other this week/month?
- What are the most important things we need to do to keep everyone connected and well supported?
- Where have you had the most success in engaging/connecting with your students in our new educational environment?
Parent Town Halls
This is an efficient manner in which you can set an agenda or obtain feedback based on information provided before, during or after the meeting.
- What are some important topics to discuss during next week’s Parent Town Hall meeting?
- What are some thoughts and questions that you have about what we have just discussed?