ThoughtExchange is an efficient way to dig deeper into the voices and perspectives of your community and prepare for your yearly Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).
With ThoughtExchange you can engage a wide cross-section of your community and uncover key insights about their needs. The Discover Dashboard has all the tools you need to quickly understand stakeholder priorities, if your LCAP goals align with your community’s needs, and where you could improve.
Identifying your goals at the beginning of the process sets the foundation for designing your exchange and discovering your results.
Some reflective questions that may help guide you include:
- What’s the progress you would like to make?
- How will you use these results and how will they line up with your district goals as well as your LCAP Goals?
- Who needs to be involved to in working with results?
- How can you structure the exchange to include as diverse of voices as possible?
- Who do you need to share the results with?
Recommended Exchange Questions
Here are some sample questions. Feel free to choose and customize a question that will help you meet your goals.
- What are the most important things our district needs to think about as we plan for the future in order to support all students?
- What are your thoughts on the LCAP goals we developed in 2020?
- What are the most important things our district needs to think about in order to support all students over the next 3 years?
PAC & Working Groups:
- What thoughts and questions do you have about our DRAFT Local Control and Accountability Plan?
- What are your questions about our proposed Local Control and Accountability Plan?
- As we continue to address our LCAP goals, what are some things you think our schools are doing well and what are some things we can focus on in order to improve?
Dear <Parents/Guardians, Students, and Staff>,
We are excited to launch this exchange.
Your input will help us reflect on how we can best support all students now and in the future. We will be using your thoughts and perspectives to help develop our new Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) that will be in place from 2021-2024. You can learn more about our previous LCAP goals <HERE>.
Please share your thoughts and then rate at least 20-30 of the thoughts that others have shared. Please come back often until <DEADLINE> to rate new ideas.
Thank you for your contribution. Your input is a critical part of our focus on priorities in support of student success.
- This exchange is confidential. Your thoughts will be shared, but not your identity.
- Please be polite and respectful as you share and rate thoughts.
- If you see a thought that is rude, hurtful or identifies a person or group, you can report it by clicking in the upper right corner of the thought.
- You do not need to rate all thoughts in this exchange. It is appreciated and recommended to rate around 30 over the time the exchange is open.
Recommended Survey Questions:
Survey questions can give you a better understanding of what’s important to different groups in your community and help you tailor your communication to different stakeholders.
Recognizing that you may belong to more than one of the following groups, please select the one which you feel best describes your involvement with us:
- Staff Member
- Community Member
*You may also want to include survey questions that help you to show you have engaged different groups within your district, such as program participation and ethnicity.
Participation Groups allows you to break a potentially large conversation into demographic-specific groups. For a more in-depth explanation, click here.
If you have not used Participation Groups, and would like to use them, get in touch with your Customer Success Manager, and we will get you set up.
What is your role in the district? If you have more than one role: select one option, share and rate. Scroll back to the top, select the other option, share and rate.
- Parent - Elementary (TK-6)
- Parent - Secondary (7-12)
- Student - Secondary (7-12)
- Staff - Certificated - Elementary (TK-6)
- Staff - Certificated - Secondary (7-12)
- Staff - Classified - Elementary (TK-6)
- Staff - Classified - Secondary (7-12)
- Staff - District Office
- Community Member/Other
What school are you most associated with in our district? If you have more than one school: select one option, share and rate. Scroll back to the top, select the other option, share and rate.
- School A
- School B
- School C
Enabling the multi-language features of ThoughtExchange can be a great way to reach more participants. Learn about the different options here.
We suggest keeping sign-up off to maximize participation.
Deciding on how to moderate depends on the specific needs of your district and community. Options include community moderation or machine moderation. If you’d like more details, check out this help article.
Discover Your Results
The Discover Dashboard offers several tools to help you dig into your results and take action. Once your exchange has closed, think back to your goals for your exchange and use those to guide what you do in the Dashboard.
For LCAP exchanges, it is key to align the exchange results with your LCAP template. You can do this using the theme tool.
Understanding your results isn’t just about the theming. Some reflective questions that may help guide you include:
- What’s the progress you would like to make?
- Who do you need to share these results back with?
- How should you share the results for that audience?
- What do you see? Where is there agreement? Where are there differences? Where might you need to dig in deeper?
- What are the quick wins or next steps to move forward?